Have you ever had a roommate who was a stranger? (not counting that #Dormlife)

johnny

I'm trying to move and my mom bought a house in an area I want to live in but I cant afford the rent by myself. I really would only need 1 other roommate to comfortably afford the place but it's a 4 bedroom so I could have 3 if I wanted. I only have like 6 friends that I speak to regularly and trust, and none of them are really trying to move. So basically I either find people I don't know or get an apartment. I'm leaning towards the apartment since I dont have to deal with people I don't know but I'm looking for your guys' insight. 

Not outside of college, no.

Install a latch lock on your bedroom door for some peace of mind if you're that worried about it?

49 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I would start be seeing if anyone you know is looking to move/rent somewhere, then go from there. 

IIRC johnny is looking to move and not necessarily to where his mom just bought a house.

@johnny if you're really that uncomfortable with living with a random roommate (not judging you, I wouldn't be either) just move with your mom and try to find someone you'd be willing to live with once you're in the new location.

This reminds me, I'm tempted to apply to have an international student stay in my house at some point.  Well paid, from experience of living with international student myself, tend to just carry on with work, and we have 2 spare bedrooms, one of which would be ideal...

But I also hate people staying in my house for more than a day.

I’ve moved out with a buddy of mine several times and we “get” each other. We don’t step on toes, don’t create problems, we just hang and make life easier on each other. 

The one time I move out with another friend he turned out to be doing hardcore drugs, constantly late on rent, complained about the most minor inconveniences, the list goes on.

It pretty much turned me off of wanting to move out with other people. I now have a very short list of people that I’d move out with and otherwise would rather just spend my time alone. Having strangers move in seems like a crap shoot on who you’re going to get and I’d rather not deal with it. That’s just me though. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Not outside of college, no.

Install a latch lock on your bedroom door for some peace of mind if you're that worried about it?

IIRC johnny is looking to move and not necessarily to where his mom just bought a house.

@johnny if you're really that uncomfortable with living with a random roommate (not judging you, I wouldn't be either) just move with your mom and try to find someone you'd be willing to live with once you're in the new location.

Just to clarify my mom bought a house but is renting it out. She won’t be living in it. 

20 minutes ago, johnny said:

Just to clarify my mom bought a house but is renting it out. She won’t be living in it. 

Oh. Then I think your two best options are leveraging the situation to claim a room and getting your would-be housemates, or just renting whatever you can afford and trying to find people you're willing to split a place with once you're there.

4 hours ago, Nokt said:

I’ve moved out with a buddy of mine several times and we “get” each other. We don’t step on toes, don’t create problems, we just hang and make life easier on each other. 

The one time I move out with another friend he turned out to be doing hardcore drugs, constantly late on rent, complained about the most minor inconveniences, the list goes on.

It pretty much turned me off of wanting to move out with other people. I now have a very short list of people that I’d move out with and otherwise would rather just spend my time alone. Having strangers move in seems like a crap shoot on who you’re going to get and I’d rather not deal with it. That’s just me though. 

I had a roommate with drug problems that pawned off my X-box, PS 2 and stole cash out of my wallet. He was the one who paid the rent after I gave him my half of the rent. One weekend he tells me he was going to a hotel with his girlfriend and would be back in a few days. I get a notice on the door that weekend that rent was 3 months past due!

• Guillotine 1

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I had a roommate with drug problems that pawned off my X-box, PS 2 and stole cash out of my wallet. He was the one who paid the rent after I gave him my half of the rent. One weekend he tells me he was going to a hotel with his girlfriend and would be back in a few days. I get a notice on the door that weekend that rent was 3 months past due!

That sounds absolutely horrible. My situation never got quite that bad luckily.